Monday, December 12, 2005

Stanley “Tookie” Williams is scheduled to die soon. He was convicted back in 1981 of four murders in California. He also founded the Crips a notorious gang. Today his attorneys exhausted all possible avenues for a stay of execution.

If you’ve read my blog before you know I’m absolutely anti-capital punishment. I think Mr. Williams should live. I believe the state has no right to execute people regardless of the crime.

But as always I have some issues. First off is this whole Save Tookie campaign. While I’m all for opposing the death penalty, I really don’t like the idea of making special cases for certain individuals. This country has executed over 1000 people and the media usually don’t say squat. But Tookie appears all over the TV. Why is that? Because Hollywood is involved and so the little media sheep just follow along.

Now I’m not trying to say that Hollywood should never have an opinion. I would never deny anyone their right to speak their mind. But as soon as Jamie Foxx and Snoop Dogg got involved, it was all just a big circus waiting to happen.

I know he’s written books against gang violence and that’s commendable. But allow me to remind you of one thing, there are no atheists in foxholes. Would Stanley Williams have done things if he were free? If not for the shadow of death hanging over him would he have converted? It’s hard to say. But conversion is not reason for overturning a sentence. It never has been and I doubt it ever will be. It’s easy to say things and do things when you’re trying to avoid death. But is he sincere? Call me a cynic but I need a lot of proof of conversion when we are dealing with a guy who founded a brutal street gang.

I want Stanley Williams to live. As I want all death row inmates to live. I just with the protesters was making a better case for why he should live.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home