Thursday, November 17, 2005

It’s been a few days since I’ve left any of my very random thoughts on here. It’s not that I’m too busy or anything like that. Perish the thought. It seems I have very little that’s motivated me to write a whole lot.

You usually some public figure does something monumentally stupid and I get to mock them. Then all is right with the world. But alas gentle reader I don’t have a whole lot of anything to say. I have a few random thoughts, which I shall share soon enough, but it’s been a pretty benign time in the news. Of course that worries me a bit. It strikes me as the calm before the storm. I fear, hopefully irrationally, that soon some colossal error will be made that will deeply and eternally change us all. But I could be wrong.

Bush and Cheney are out defending their war in Iraq. I could mock them but I feel almost sympathetic for them. I mean here they are trying to sell a war that the people and government are increasingly for ending and there they are trying to sell icemakers to Eskimos, so to speak. That’s kind of sad. I mean Cheney even was in a tuxedo for one of his speeches. Dick was all dressed up and nowhere to go.

The CBC reported today that the Canadian government wants an investigation into the safety of using Tamiflu. Apparently two Japanese children took it and later committed suicide. If this is true then the irony is impressive. A drug, which was supposed to save us from the pandemic of bird flu, makes people commit suicide. Irony can be so ironic.

Whatever happened to epidemics? Why all of the sudden do we have pandemics? Why was the wording changed? Is a pandemic an epidemic with a bad attitude? Is a pandemic scarier than an epidemic? No wonder everyone is so confused they keep changing the words on us.

My little town of Fostoria was the residence for the two criminals mentioned in the lead stories of the local ABC affiliate’s six o’clock newscast. Hooray Fostoria! I’m kidding relax. The first criminal spent a half an hour smoking cigarettes and playing video games while his two infant children drown in the bathtub. I’ve said it before I’ll say it again, only stupid people are breeding. The second bilked almost 100 people out thousands of dollars for tickets to the Ohio State-Michigan game that he did not deliver. Today his wife filed a missing person’s report for him. I suppose South America is nice this time of year.

I’ve read Kurt Vonnegut’s new book, A Man Without a Country three times in the last week. Yes I do love it that much. If you don’t read it you’re a twerp. If you do read it you’ll get that last joke and you will have read a great book. Experiencing great art is what makes life tolerable. I suppose that’s why so many people are so intolerant. There’s no great art in their lives. It’s all corporate TV and music. There’s no art in business. So do yourself a favor and go to a library or a museum or a concert and lighten up. For as Kurt Vonnegut wants his epitaph to read, “The only proof he ever needed for the existence of God was music.”

For a guy without a lot to say I just wrote almost 600 words. I apologize. I’m gabby sometimes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home