Sunday, October 23, 2005

It’s kind of funny how much coincidence there is in the world. A little while ago I read a rather good article in the Findlay Courier by Mariah Mercer about how a lot of Christians get it wrong. They get so worried about gay marriage and the like that they forget all about doing charitable works and that happy goodness. Well what inspired Ms. Mercer to write her column was hearing one of her favorite hymns “They will know we are Christians by our love.” Well, I’m sitting at Mass today and guess what the recessional hymn was. You guess it; “They will know we are Christians by our love.” So I’ll give you three guesses what I’m going to write about.

For those of you who don’t know me or are new here, I’m Catholic. I’ll admit I’m Catholic that struggles with his faith and the idea of faith in general. But, then again I over-think everything so self-doubt is one of my more natural states of being. That being said I do have twelve years of Catholic education and due to some involvement in some ecumenical groups I have a small insight to some other faiths. So I feel like I have an OK theological base of knowledge to work with. I shall ignore non-Christian faiths because I’m not knowledgeable enough about them to make a sound criticism.

That being said I think a lot of Christians get it wrong. They get so worried about saving their own souls and condemning sinners that they forget how we will be truly be judged. We will be judged in how we treat the least of our brothers and sisters. Yes I know I’m paraphrasing. Many Christians are so consumed with how evil some music or video game is they don’t take the time to correct the evils of poverty and bigotry. They get so busy looking through the Bible for some off quote to condemn gays that they forget to read about Jesus’ work healing the sick and offering comfort to the outcasts. I believe these people are rather neatly summed up by a lyric from the song “Eulogy” by the band Tool, “Ranting and pointing his finger at everything but his heart.”

See if pressed I’d say the mission of Christians is to be an honest, ethical and generous person. It is not to condemn people. Do you remember, “Judge not lest ye be judged”?

I’m not writing this to condemn all Christians; in fact, I know a rather large number of good ones. Unfortunately it’s the ones with the least positive message that make the most racket. The empty can rattles the most you know.

Thank you Mariah wherever you are.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lot of people think I am anti-christian or something because I make these very points. For the most part the Bible is preaching a good, honest message, but people keep getting caught up in sideroads and exceptions to the general rule, just forgetting to live their lives in a positive way and help others.

I am glad to hear a Catholic saying these things (apparently you can't say it if you aren't of the religion because that would be "questioning people's faith") I am all for religion, so long as it doesn't hurt anybody.

Another thought-provoking post.

Keep 'em coming.

Saathi*

5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home