Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Hey kids!

In lieu of being creative I shall direct you towards two of my most favorite sites on the Internet. One’s a quote site I like very much. Yeah I know it’s on an atheism web site. So if you get easily offended when someone confronts you about your faith then feel free to skip along to the next site. But I really and truthfully love this site. There are lots of great quotes about freedom and critical thought. I also like reading things that challenge my ideas. It keeps you sharp you know.

Wants an example? Fine by me,

“Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good.”-- Thomas Paine, The Rights of Man

“Toleration is not the opposite of intolerance but the counterfeit of it. Both are despotisms: the one assumes to itself the right of withholding liberty of conscience, the other of granting it.”-- Thomas Paine, The Rights of Man

“Reason and Ignorance, the opposites of each other, influence the great bulk of mankind. If either of these can be rendered sufficiently extensive in a country, the machinery of government goes easily on. Reason obeys itself; and Ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.”-- Thomas Paine, The Rights of Man: Being An Answer To Mr. Burke's Attack On The French Revolution, Part the First, Conclusion

Speaking of Thomas Paine, whom I respect as much as any person I have ever read. He was a liberal so far ahead of his time I’m amazed he wasn’t killed rather then just hated and ostracized. Read more about one of the greatest thinkers ever here. His complete works are available here.

In a lovely coincidence I give you the Daily Indicator on the equally fine Tom Paine.com. It’s chock full of fine thought provoking facts and figures on there as well as links to the source material of where they got them from.

Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home