Monday, January 23, 2006

As you may have noticed January 22nd was the 33rd anniversary of the Supreme Court case Roe v Wade. Of course this case settled all debate on the topic of abortion. I’m kidding. Abortion currently is the political litmus test. In fact, I know an awful lot of one-issue voters for whom abortion is the issue. It’s not poverty or health care or foreign policy. It’s abortion. As you already know about me I’m not a big fan of single-issue voters. But that’s neither here nor there.

I know I have made my thoughts on abortion known in the past and I won’t beat that poor dead horse. But rather I’d like to look at the issue itself. I’m not conceited enough to think I have a whole lot of answers but I do think just bright enough to ask an awful lot of pretty good questions. I will free to drop my opinion in here and there and everywhere. It’s why I made this blog. But I’ll admit right here and now I don’t have answers for every question I raise. It never hurts to ask questions however.

I’d really appreciate feedback on this. So all you only post when you disagree people are going to have to post something positive maybe.

First and foremost I’d like to point out one major problem that exists in the debate in abortion. Both sides are making a completely different argument. The Pro-Choice side argues that it’s a woman’s right to control her own reproductive functions. The Pro-Life side argues that even a newly conceived fetus is in fact a human life and therefore ought to have a right to be protected under law. Can you see why this more of a pissing match than a reasoned debate? They’re not arguing the same thing. They’re arguing two different things. It’s awfully hard to find a middle ground on two different continents.

I’m going to ask this of both sides, please stop being such absolutists! Unfortunately in American political debate it seems we only we ever hear from. So that is what people think the whole debate is two sides. No one ever brings up the middle ground. Why is there no compromise? Would both sides giving up a little bit be so bad? This is yet another reason we shall never hear the end of the abortion debate, because both sides refuse to yield.

Also I find a rather large faction of the Pro-Life movement to be raging hypocrites. Anyone who bombs an abortion clinic is not in favor of life in the slightest. You cannot pick and choose the lives you wish to feel be worthy of your support. Murder is always wrong. Since most of the people who think like this are fundamentalist Christians I can make a good biblical reference. Remember when the Lord said that vengeance was His? Why did he reserve vengeance for Himself? Because He knew we weren’t smart enough to handle it. So let’s leave the revenge up to God. I also find people that support the death penalty and military aggression but oppose abortion so passionately rather curious. Again I really don’t think you can pick and choose what life you want to support.

Let me also say this about the Pro-Life movement. I wish they would lighten up on birth control. It’s main sticking point with my own faith and me. I really don’t see the harm in condoms being used. I’m also perfectly all right with the pill, IUD’s and diaphragms. I don’t think you can call for an end to abortion and not provide the means to lessen unwanted pregnancies. Unwanted pregnancies are the cause of all this ruckus. So if you eliminate that guess what happens.

So as not to sound one-sided I also find people that want no more wars and will cry over a the execution of a convicted murderer but stand in support of abortion a curious lot as well. I know what you’re thinking. Pro-Choice supporters are making abortion safe for the women who want them. I have no problem with doing away with unsafe abortions. I don’t want to see anyone die. But a lot of Pro-Choice supporters seem to have so little regard for the fetus. I have a hard time completely disregarding it. That stance seems as if a pregnant woman condition is no different than someone with a tumor. So apparently punching a pregnant woman in the stomach is no big deal. Unless of course she wants the baby then it’s totally different.

Which brings me to next point. Why is whether or not the pregnancy is wanted such a consideration? I know that pissed somebody off and I’m ok with that. But I have a hard time figuring out if one fetus is wanted and one is not why is it ok to abort the unwanted one? Is not a part of the same process? I always feel a bit uneasy when people start playing God. It’s also a big part of why I oppose capital punishment and euthanasia; I really can’t bring myself to believe that we are smart enough to get to decide who lives and who dies.

Again I don’t have all the answers here so please if you can enlighten me please do. I think an active, open and intellectual debate would do this country good. I can’t say as I see that happening soon but I can dream.

Oh yeah also note I will not respond to “straw man “ characterizations or ad hominem attacks or anything of the like. I would like some honest smart input here. I look forward to being enlightened.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home