Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Some days I hate being right. If you read my little rant yesterday I complained about how similar the Republicans and the Democrats are. Well today it was proven. I’m not merely a paranoid delusional blogger. I have proof. What proof do I have? Hillary Clinton is having a fundraiser. Rupert Murdoch is throwing that fundraiser.

Egad!

For those of you who aren’t up on who’s who in politics I will do my best to explain.

Hillary Clinton in the wife of former President Bill Clinton and currently the Junior Senator from New York. She is considered the frontrunner for the Democratic nomination for President in 2008. She is also considered by some to be the poster child for liberals.

Rupert Murdoch is a media tycoon. He owns, among other things, FOX News. Murdoch has long been known for using his media empire in support of conservative causes and ideas.

So how exactly does the guy who owns FOX News decide to throw a fundraiser for the Queen of the Democrats? I mean it is for her re-election campaign for the US Senate and not for her Presidential campaign, but still.

I thought it was awfully creepy when Bill Clinton and George H.W. Bush started acting all chummy. I almost gasped when on 60 Minutes Bill Clinton said that he thought George W. Bush’s idea of campaigning, as a “compassionate conservative” was brilliant. Of course Michael Moore did say once that Bill Clinton was one of our best Republican Presidents ever. I doubt he wanted to be so correct.

Also somewhat puzzling is the seemingly warm and fuzzy relationship between Hillary Clinton and Michael Bloomberg, the Mayor of New York City. Bloomberg is another staunch Republican who has warmed up to Clinton.

I take some comfort in this; it is over two years until we elect another President. I don’t care what all the pundits say now, two years is an awful long time. There’s a lot that can change in two years. Because the pundits are handing the nomination to Clinton almost ensures one thing; she will not get it. At least that’s the hope I’m clinging to.

I’ve never been a Clinton fan. Neither Bill nor Hillary impresses me as anything more than people who love the idea of being in office. They seem to be more politicians than people concerned with the real well being of the nation. Sure Bill left office with a budget surplus. He also signed NAFTA. NAFTA has crippled Mexico and opened the door for other bad free trade agreements like CAFTA and FTAA. Hillary supports making flag burning illegal and is pro-Iraq War and voted for the Patriot Act and all of its renewals. I’m not a big Clinton fan.

Mark Twain used to say that we would always elect the wrong people because only people that want the nomination run for office. Maybe that’s the answer. Maybe we need to draft someone. Quite frankly I don’t think it would make government any worse that it is right now if some outsider shook up the system.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home