Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Greetings,

This weekend I will pack my little self into a bus and journey all night to Washington DC. We will be going for the rally to end the war in Iraq. I’ve never caused trouble on a national level so it’s all a little new to me. I am excited to go though. I’ve opposed this war since it started about two and a half years ago and have protested on a more local level. I have never marched right by the White House however. I wonder if the Bushes will wave or invite us in for lemonade? Come laugh it’s funny!

I mean sure the Department of Defense might zap us all with their swell new ray gun, (read all about it here) but a good time should be had by all.

I know there are cynics out there who don’t think that protests do anything. I tend to disagree. I mean look at all attention Cindy Sheehan has brought to the resistance to this war. If there is opposition it must not remain silent. We are a government of, for and by the people right? So we must be vocal and active and make sure the leaders know where we stand. If we don’t we’ll get a government that feels it has free reign to do as it chooses and that’s a truly terrifying thought.

Again I’m excited to go, I just hope I can avoid my super-nerd tendencies and avoid the Air & Space museum. But, I shall do my best.
Sleep tight.

4 Comments:

Blogger Josie Setzler said...

Don't worry, Eric, you won't have time for the Air and Space Museum. Reading everyone's signs will be intriguing enough to keep you busy for starters. I just want to comment that the value of protest goes even beyond letting our leaders know what we think. It's letting each other know. It's letting others know that there are people who feel strongly enough to ride a bus all night to express their dissent. We build courage in each other and in those who haven't quite known what to think--or whether to think. Solidarity counts.

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

go somewhere else, not dc, youre wasting your time, hey, how about sightseeing in New Orleans, protest a hurricane.Your sign could say "BUSH: why are you making hurricanes hit the US??"

11:22 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

Ahem,

Wars are products of man's own inhumanity. This war in particular is expecially wrong because it was fought for false reasons.

If we are to be a strong democracy we have to make our voices heard. Public support for this war has steadily declined and the governemnt needs to be made aware that the citizens are growing restless. This will be even more profound once we are left trying to figure out how we are going to pay for the clean up and rebuilding those areas left devastated by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To quote Eric: "This war in particular is expecially wrong because it was fought for false reasons."

I assume this is regarding the "war in Iraq". I look at the action in Iraq as part of the "War on/against Terror".

Saddam was a terrorist and so were many in his regime. We put a stop to it. There are still terrorist there and we are stopping them too.

As we continue to fight terrorists over there, our military can take action that includes shooting at them. If we were not over there, actively engaging terrorists on their home turf, do you not think they would be attacking us on U.S. soil? On U.S. soil, we wouldn't have the same liberties to deal with terrorists as aggressively.

So....should we shoot at the terrorists in the middle east....or should we back out and let them come here and deal with them on American soil?

Myself....I would prefer it if there were no such thing as terrorists...but since there are, I prefer for them to be attacking Americans that have the proper training and equipment to shoot back and remove them from the face of the planet....rather than have them over here attacking civilians that have no means to defend themselves.

I'm glad that our fighting men and women are over there, keeping me safe. I thank them for it. The war against terrorism isn't over, won't be over anytime soon, we'll lose good men and women in the fight and it won't be cheap, but it's what needs to be done. That's just the way I see it.

If people want to protest it....for whatever reason....I bear them no ill feelings, because it is their right to do so. When someone exercises such rights, I am always reminded that I live in a great country where we are truly blessed with freedom even if I don't agree with them, or understand how they could feel the way they do when it seems so simple to me.

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home