Monday, October 02, 2006

Every once in a while a good idea comes at me out of nowhere. I have no idea why this happens but it does and it’s usually best if I act on them as soon as possible. The longer I let them sit and do nothing with them the less interesting they seem to get. So I had an idea today. Actually it was more of an epiphany really. Any more it seems as if my moments of lucidity are getting fewer and fewer so I enjoy it when a good idea comes to me. So enough yapping about my thought processes and let’s get to the thought. Here you go I am not political.

Oh pick your jaw up off of the floor. It doesn’t mean I don’t observe and care about what is now generally known as politics. I do care about the truth, justice and the common good. I do have causes I stand for and will support with great vigor indeed. I just don’t like the mess American politics has become and I simply choose to view it with great disdain. My ideas and beliefs are my own. I do not follow platforms or worry about planks or how something tests with a focus group. I am not interested in compromise or popular opinion. I have no use for straight party line voting. I feel no affinity for either party really or as Chuck D once said. “Neither party is mine not the jackass or the elephant.” Certainly I will support candidates from time to time. But I will do so because I support what they stand for not because they are red or blue. To be honest I have spent the vast majority of my time as voter apathetic towards my choices. I regret not writing in “None of the above” for the presidential elections I have voted in. I consider it a missed opportunity. Of course I will continue to vote. You know the rule, “You can’t bitch if you don’t vote” and I like to bitch way too much. But from here on out I will vote what my conscience, reason and faith dictate and nothing else. I will not hesitate to abstain from races where all the candidates are far less than desirable. I will no longer choose the lesser of two evils just to make a choice.

If being an activist has taught me anything it is this that you really don’t see any issue clearly until you look at it from the outside. Until you remove yourself from the current political system and look at it as an outsider you really don’t see all the traps you can fall into. Until you look at your own set of beliefs and ideas you really don’t stand for much because you are too busy falling for everything.

“I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.”
Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home